A list of online and (mostly) open-access resources for electronic music. Please support these folks if you are able.
- Reaper (DAW) (http://reaper.fm/)
All-purpose DAW with extensive plug-in suite.
- Rack (Virtual Modular Synth) (https://vcvrack.com/)
Standalone Eurorack-style virtual modular synth.
- Soundgrain (Granular Synthesis) (http://ajaxsoundstudio.com/software/soundgrain/)
Standalone granulation software with novel visual interface.
- SPEAR (Spectral Analysis and Editing) (http://www.klingbeil.com/spear/)
Standalone application for spectral analysis and editing.
- HELM (Synthesizer) (https://tytel.org/helm/)
Solid synth with effects and customizable modulation.
- DEXED (Yamaha DX7) (https://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/)
Emulation of the classic synth. Learn more about the DX7 and hear samples of the classic patches (http://www.synthmania.com/dx7.htm)
- iO-808 (in-browser Roland TR-808) (https://io808.com/)
Browser-based emulation of the classic drum machine.
- KVR Audio (https://www.kvraudio.com/)
Resource for free (and not-so-free) FX plug-ins and virtual instruments.
- Voxengo Audio Spectrum Analyzer (https://www.voxengo.com/product/span/)
Useful spectrum analyzer plug-in.
- Freesound Project (https://freesound.org/)
Massive community-sourced repository of field recordings and musical sounds.
- University of Iowa Acoustic Instrument Sample Library (http://theremin.music.uiowa.edu/MIS.html)
Archive of high-quality one-shot samples of acoustic instruments.
- BBC Sound Effects Archive (http://bbcsfx.acropolis.org.uk/)
Huge repository of audio clips recorded by the BBC over several decades.
- Samplicity Impulse Responses (for convolution reverb plug-ins) (http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-impulse-responses/)
Library of impulse response (IR) audio files for reverb plug-ins.
- Arduino (https://www.arduino.cc/)
Environment for Arduino microcontrollers.
- Supercollider (https://supercollider.github.io/)
Line-by-line programming environment popular for live coding.
- Processing (https://processing.org/)
Environment for creative coding.
- Puredata (https://puredata.info/)
Freeware sibling of Max.
- Soundflower (https://github.com/mattingalls/Soundflower)
Send audio between applications on your Mac.
- Osculator (https://osculator.net/)
Map novel controller interfaces to audio software.
- Oblique Strategies (http://stoney.sb.org/eno/oblique.html)
A little inspiration from Brian Eno.
Guides and Tutorials
- Music and Computers: A Theoretical and Historical Approach (http://sites.music.columbia.edu/cmc/MusicAndComputers/)
Online computer music textbook.
- Peter Elsea (http://artsites.ucsc.edu/EMS/music/table.html)
Short technical essays on various topics related to music technology.
Production and Mixing
- Reaper Video Tutorials (http://reaper.fm/videos.php)
Huge library of video tutorials for Reaper. Many of the explanations of techniques, parameters, and plug-ins can be generalized to other platforms.
- The Music Production Guide (https://www.music-production-guide.com/music-mixing-3.html)
Step-by-step approach to mixing.
- Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio Online Resources (http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm)
Online resources, including stems to practice mixing.
- Theory of Drum Programming (Alan D. Moore) (http://www.alandmoore.com/blog/the-theory-of-drum-programming/#tools_of_the_trade)
- Mixing Drums (Audio Issues) (http://www.audio-issues.com/music-mixing/drum-eq-guide/)
- How to Use Compression (Soundfly) (https://flypaper.soundfly.com/produce/compression-audio-basics/)
- How to Make Vocals Pop (Tunecore) (https://www.tunecore.com/blog/2018/01/make-vocal-tracks-pop.html)
Fantastic Synth Sounds and Where to Find Them
- Music Radar (https://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/the-40-greatest-synth-sounds-of-all-time-ever-306114)
- Synthmania (http://www.synthmania.com/Famous%20Sounds.htm)
- Intro to Digital Filters (CCRMA at Stanford) (https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/filters/)
- Percussion Synthesis (CCRMA at Stanford)
- Advanced Programming Techniques for Modular Synthesizers (http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/nordmodularbook/nm_book_toc.html)
- Granular Synthesis (https://granularsynthesis.com/index.php)
- Digital Signal Processing (DSP) (Steven W. Smith)
- Sound Advice (https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice)
- Synthtopia (http://www.synthtopia.com/)
- Ethan Hein (http://www.ethanhein.com)
- Zeroes and Ones (http://alijamieson.co.uk/)
- Open Music Theory (http://openmusictheory.com/)
- net (https://www.musictheory.net/)
- Music Theory for Musicians and Normal People (http://tobyrush.com/theorypages/index.html)
- Top 40 Theory (https://www.top40theory.com/)